HALIDZOR FORTRESS - HelpMe.am

HALIDZOR FORTRESS

star
5
comment 1
№ 12 from 277 - Attractions - Yerevan
Share now share facebook ok twitter vkontakte linkedin
Halidzor Fortress, also called Halidzor St. Astvatsatsin (Sw. Holy Virgin) desert, is an Armenian architectural complex in Syunik region of RA, on the right bank of the River Voghj. It was built in the first half of the 17th century.
In the 18th century David Bek turned the desert into the main center of liberation movement. Nevertheless, even those years the establishment served as a monastery. In 1727, when the Turkish army was trying to capture Halidzor, even nuns were fighting. The complex is protected by fortress walls; the plan is rectangular, according to the location. The only round tower is located in the South-Western part of the complex. The large church, built of untreated basalt, has form of vaulted hall. Two-storey constructions from the North and South serve as parish; the enemy was bombed from the roofs of the constructions.
The appropriate system of protection and inaccessible location gave David Bek with his small army the opportunity to successfully face the numerous attacks of the Turkish army.
user
* All reviews will pass moderation before posting
Attach a photo
  • 44 9
    Armen Harutyunyan
    star

    Крепость воинской славы

    Бывший монастырь, который в 20-х гг. 18 века был укреплен и превращен в крепость Давид Беком. В 1727 г. у его стен произошло одно из самых значимых сражений в военной истории Армении. Благодаря мужеству и применению военной хитрости немногочисленным защитникам Алидзорской крепости под руководством Давид Бека и Мхитара Спарапета удалось разгромить османское войско, которое потеряло под стенами Алидзорской крепости более 13,000 воинов. Это место, где тебя переполняет чувство гордости за своих предков, которые своими выдающимися ратными делами восстанавливали фундамент потерянной армянской государственности.

    facebook ok twitter vkontakte linkedin