Shushi Fortress is located in the city of Shushi in Nagorno-Karabakh. It was built in the 18th century and was the property of Melik-Shahnazaryan, the leader of Vananda.
The over 2,5km long ramparts start from the high rock in the south-western side of the mountain-plain and "climbing" by the very slopy branches and cliffs they encircle the fort-town from west, then go down by a slope, turn to west and stick in a rock. Shushi's other, southern wing fully, the eastern and western ones are partly enclosed by natural huge ramparts.
In protective system of Shushi leading role performed the local numerous caves and deep defile in southern side of the fort-town, through which makes noise Karin-Tak.
In 1826 during the Russo-Persian War of 1826-1828. the fortress of Shushi, in which there was a small garrison of Russian troops under the command of Colonel Reut along with the local Armenian population, was besieged by the 40,000 army by the Persian army. The heroic defense of Shushi lasted 47 days. Despite several assaults, the Persian army was never able to take the fortress, which was of great importance for the outcome of the war.